This document gives you information on how to prepare Windows 2000 and
Windows 2003 servers for installation of H-Sphere components and notes
you should consider before proceeding to the installation.
- Hardware and Partitioning requirements
- Software requirements
- NTFS Permissions For ActivePerl and PHP
- Peculiarities of H-Sphere work under Windows 2003
- We don't install H-Sphere on live servers.
- On Windows, the users group by default
has the read/write permissions on all disks.
Upon H-Sphere installation, the users group is
stripped of the read/write permissions on the system directory
and other directories that may affect hosting.
No other permissions are modified. If needed, change them by yourself.
Hardware and Partitioning Requirements
For better functioning we recommend to have not less than 256RAM.
And as for partitions it's better to break it into two:
- C:\ for system files and program files - at least 5 GB.
- D:\ for users' content - the rest of the HDD.
Important: partition containing users' content must
be NTFS formated to support disk space quota.
Before installing H-Sphere to Windows platform,
make sure your system complies with the following software requirements:
- Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2003 Servers, Windows 2003 Web Edition
Microsoft Server 2003 limitations)
a) must not be PDC (Primary Domain Controller)
b) must not be in Active Directory mode
- Terminal Service or pcAnywhere for remote access to the computer
- Both, the system disk and the one with user homes, must have NTFS file system
- External IP
- IIS (Internet Information Server) service set up for WWW service and FTP service
- FrontPage extensions version 4 or higher;
- ASP.NET 1.1
- The following ports must be open:
- 20, 21 (FTP)
- 80 (HTTP)
- 443 (HTTPS)
- 873 (Rsync)
- 10125 (SOAP) *
* H-Sphere version 2.4 Beta 6 includes support for H-Sphere Windows Services.
When creating a new account on winbox, Windows service method is run with SOAP
(Simple Object Access Protocol). It's a new protocol of data communication between CP and Windows server.
To enable support for Win services in H-Sphere, go to hsphere.properties file and set: SOAP_SUPPORT = true
Also, make port 10125 available on Winbox. This port is used to connect to
Windows services by default. It can be set in the hsphere.properties file: SOAP_PORT = 10125
- These are the default ports for * SQL servers to be open if your customers connect to them via ODBC:
Note: If *SQL server is put on any port other than the default, don't forget to open it.
- MySQL - 3306
- PostgreSQL - 5432
- MS SQL-1433
To access Windows boxes via pcAnywhere or Terminal Service,
the ports 5631 and 3389 correspondingly must be open.
Third party commercial products are purchased
separately and must be installed prior to H-Sphere:
- MS SQL server
- Real Server
The following noncommercial third party products
should also be set up prior to the H-Sphere installation:
please download Webalizer 2.01.09.RB07
supported by H-Sphere.
(see also ASP.NET Support)
- PHP 4.3.1 and higher (except for PHP 5.x).
Note: To make sure you have all required libraries necessary for proper work of PHP, install PHP
from the zip archive, not self-extracting executable. The mentioned libs are also needed for correct work of Webshell.
- MDAC 2.8
NTFS Permissions For ActivePerl and PHP
Upon the completion of ActivePerl and PHP installation,
please set the following permissions on the PERL and PHP
directories and their content. They are required so respective libraries
can be run when Perl or PHP scripts are requested via http.
These permissions are set during H-Sphere installation and
aren't checked by H-Sphere updates, so please don't modify them afterwards.
Peculiarities of H-Sphere work under Windows 2003
Please consider the following when you intend to install H-Sphere on Windows 2003 servers:
- H-Sphere 2.3.2 works with IIS 5 compatible mode. H-Sphere 2.4 works with IIS 6 compatible mode.
- H-Sphere 2.3.2 doesn't support shared SSL on Windows 2003 server.
In H-Sphere 2.4, shared SSL scheme was redesigned to also work with IIS 6.0.
More on Winbox Shared SSL.
- CDONTS object library doesn't work on Windows 2003. We recommend using CDO
instead of CDONTS on all Windows servers, since it is a newer and more flexible.