This document gives a step-by-step instruction on installing the multiuser version of SiteStudio with plugins.
This installation manual refers only to stand-alone SiteStudio or integrated with Plesk, Ensim or other non-psoft control panels.
It doesn't refer to SiteStudio integrated with H-Sphere.
Integration with CPanel, PLESK and Ensim
- Java installation
- Xvfb installation
- SiteStudio installation and configuration
1. Java installation
SiteStudio requires Java version 1.3 or 1.4.
We have not tested SiteStudio with Java 1.5.0 or IBM Java,
but generally it should work with them.
SiteStudio will not work under any other vendor's Java or Sun Java version 1.2.
The JDK 1.3 and setup instructions are located at:
JDK 1.4 is at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/
2. Xvfb installation
Note: Xvfb installation is needed only if you're using jdk 1.3.
If you have jdk 1.4.x you should skip this section.
Before you begin installing the SiteStudio, please make sure that you
have X11 libraries and an X server (used by Java for image generation).
Xvfb is a good choice because it does not use video hardware.
Usually, you can install XFree-Xvfb using the standard Linux RPM package.
For example, RedHat Linux 7.2 takes the XFree86-Xvfb-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm file.
You can copy the respective XFree-Xvfb package from your Linux CD
or download from any rpmfind.net site.
This package requires at least the following three RPMs installed
in the system (for the standard Linux RedHat 7.2 installation):
You can copy them from your Linux CD, download from any rpmfind.net site.
The installation order for these packages is the following:
If the Mesa-3.4.2-7.i386.rpm RPM returns an error during the installation procedure
stating that it requires a XFree86 installed, use the "--nodeps" parameter.
rpm -ivh --nodeps ./Mesa-3.4.2-7.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh ./XFree86-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh ./Xaw3d-1.5-10.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh ./XFree86-Xvfb-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
The XFree-Xvfb package also requires the 100dpi and 75dpi XFree fonts installed.
If you don't have those fonts, you can install the standard XFree RPMs.
But we recommend a simpler way: download and install the required fonts from the
www.psoft.net web site.
To do it, please perform the following actions:
tar xfz ./X11.tgz -C /usr/X11R6/lib/
NOTE: XFree-Xvfb package may require several other RPMs installed,
we don't specify all necessary packages here. In this case you need to install these RPMs too.
When you have all these packages installed, you can start Xvfb:
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb ':0' -screen 0 100x100x8 &
Also, don't forget to add this string into the server startup (the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file).
3. SiteStudio Installation and Configuration
- Unpack the SiteStudioDemo installation file to the target directory (e.g. home folder):
tar xzf SiteStudioDemo.tgz -C /home/
- Next, change SiteStudio folder owner to the user under which you want to run SiteStudio. Usually it is the root:
chown -R root:root /home/SiteStudioDemo/
- Now you can start/stop SiteStudio by the commands below:
- When SiteStudio is started, go to:
- Use test/test as login and password.
You can use this program for 30 days. After that, you have
to contact email@example.com
to buy the full version or remove our software from your box.
- Unpack the SiteStudio installation file to the target directory (e.g. home folder):
tar xzf SiteStudio1.XX.tgz -C /home/
Note: Hereinafter XX stands for the version of SiteStudio you have.
- Next, change SiteStudio folder owner to the user under which
you want to run SiteStudio. Usually it is the root:
chown -R root:root /home/SiteStudio1.XX/
If you have MySQL or Postgres installed, you need to create
databases for SiteStudio and plugins:
mysqladmin create hosting
mysqladmin create poll
mysqladmin create counter
mysqladmin create guestbook
- When it is done, upload *.sql files to the poll, counter,
and guestbook DB from the sql folder.
For MySQL users only:
Log into MySQL through any administrative account and execute
the following command for each SiteStudio database:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON <DB_NAME>.* TO <DB_USER>@<YOUR_IP>
IDENTIFIED BY <DB_PASSWORD>
<DB_NAME> is a database name
<DB_USER> is a MySQL account for access to <DB_NAME>
<YOUR_IP> for security reasons enter the IP of the server where SiteStudio is installed
<DB_PASSWORD> is a password to account <DB_USER>
You must use the same <DB_USER> and <DB_PASSWORD> for all SiteStudio databases (hosting, poll, counter, guestbook).
- Set the JAVA_HOME system variable to the dir where JDK is installed, e.g:
- Now you can configure SiteStudio. Enter:
and answer the questions prompted.
- When configuring procedure is over, you can start/stop SiteStudio by the command
- You need to start it and go to the admin panel to add your first user:
- Go to
Note: Default login and password are admin/admin. We recommend to change it after the first login.
- Add new user by entering the following data:
Id—some unique digital number
Login—login to SiteStudio
Real_login—FTP login to the site
Pass—ftp password to this site
Dir—path to the site has to end with a slash (/)
Host—URL of the site, also has to end with a slash (/) e.g. http://mycraftmarket.net/
Server—127.0.0.1 or localhost. Usually, it can be the domain name of user site
Port—the port to login the FTP server (usually it is port 21)
Read SiteStudio Admin Panel Guide for details.
- When the user is added, you can login to the SiteStudio by the URL below and test it:
- The on-line demo similar to ours is available at
Note: Please, point you potential clients to your SiteStudio demo, not to ours, because our demo might have a different SiteStudio version than yours.
4. Integration with CPanel, PLESK or Ensim.
SiteStudio can be integrated with Ensim, CPanel and PLESK Control Panels
(CP), but it doesn't mean that you will have the SiteStudio icon in your CP
and user will be able to log into SiteStudio through your control panel.
To log into SiteStudio, your users will have to specify the login
information (depending on your CP it would be either login/domain/password
or login/password), and SiteStudio will become accessible for ALL
users of corresponding CP (no Admin
panel for adding users into SiteStudio will be available).
If you want to have the feature to enable/disable SiteStudio for your users,
you need to have the standard installation (without any integration). In this case
you will have SiteStudio Administration Panel for manual user management.
Since version 1.6RC3, integration with CPanel, PLESK and Ensim control
panels is included into the SiteStudio setup script.
SiteStudio must be installed on the same server of the hosting system you
are going to integrate it with.
You need to follow the general installation instruction:
- Unpack the install package and start setup procedure with:
- Choose the CP you need to integrate SiteStudio with.
NOTE 1: if you choose integration, you need to skip the step
with creation DB named 'hosting'.
NOTE 2: Administration Panel for user management will not
be enabled in case of integration.
- For CPanel and PLESK you should download and manually install the File publisher utility
by running the following commands:
tar xvfz ./publisher-1.1.tar.gz
- Once configuration is completed, you can log into SiteStudio with the following parameters:
- For PLESK: FTP username and password to a site.
- For CPanel: CPanel username and password
- For Ensim: FTP ID, domain and password.
In case of any problems/questions, please use our
Please include the file masonry.properties and corresponding parts of error logs, if any, to your request.