Urchin4 & Urchin5 Installation for Unix
Last modified: 27 Dec 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
Urchin4 and 5 can be installed on any H-Sphere *nix server. It doesn't require any special configuration
and, once installed, can poll statistics from all web servers and winboxes.
- Go to www.urchin.com and click the Download link.
- Select the installer that most closely matches your platform. The name of the
installer will include the Urchin version and the operating system type (e.g.
Note: If necessary, upload the installer to a temporary location on the system on
which you are installing Urchin. If you are not on the console,
telnet (or use ssh if available) to the system and cd to the directory where the installer is located.
- From the command line type in the name of the installer. For example:
This will unpack several files that comprise the installation kit.
- From the command line execute the main installation script by typing:
The script will prompt you for input as needed; just follow the instructions.
- Following the instructions of the manual, configure Urchin in the directory:
Note: Urchin port and owner can be set by default (9999, nobody).
- Create directory /hsphere/local/urchin/var/logs by running:
- Set directory owner the same as for Urchin on step 5:
chown nobody:nobody /hsphere/local/urchin/var/logs
Important: Make steps 8-12 on all webboxes.
- Check httpd.conf
for Script Alias directive in the shared IP Virtual Host (usually /hsphere/local/sqwebmail
directory). If this directory doesn't exist - create it with 755 permissions.
- Copy print-log.pl script from the /hsphere/shared/scripts directory:
cp /hsphere/shared/scripts/print-log.pl /hsphere/local/sqwebmail/cgi-bin/
- Set 755 permissions for this script:
chmod 755 /hsphere/local/sqwebmail/cgi-bin/print-log.pl
- Create loglist file:
- Set owner and group for this file to httpd:
chown httpd:httpd /hsphere/local/sqwebmail/cgi-bin/loglist
In the hsphere.properties file, configure the following variables:
[URCHIN_SCHEDULER_START] and [URCHIN_SCHEDULER_FINISH] are the hours
when statistics is collected. e.g: 2 and 4 means statistics will be collected between 2 and 4 AM;
URCHIN_SERVER_ID = [URCHIN_SERVER_ID]
URCHIN_PORT = [URCHIN_PORT]
URCHIN_SCHEDULER_START = [URCHIN_SCHEDULER_START]
URCHIN_SCHEDULER_FINISH = [SCHEDULER_FINISH]
URCHIN_PROTOCOL = [URCHIN_PROTOCOL]
URCHIN_SERVERNAME = [URCHIN_SERVERNAME]
[URCHIN_SERVER_ID] is the ID of the logical server where Urchin is installed.
You can get the logical server id in E.Manager;
[URCHIN_PORT] is the port taken by Urchin;
[URCHIN_PROTOCOL] the protocol to connect to the Urchin control panel, can be
http or https. The default is http;
[URCHIN_SERVERNAME] (since 2.3.1 patch 9) is the URL to the
Urchin server; it should be set in addition to URCHIN_SERVER_ID on systems with
NAT support (the Urchin server in this case has a local IP). In other cases, you
should comment out or skip setting this parameter.
- Restart H-Sphere for changes to take effect.
© Copyright 2018. Parallels Holdings. All rights reserved.