Last modified: 17 Oct 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
DNS servers can be moved only to Linux/Unix boxes. You can't move DNS to a Windows platform.
- Prepare a new box with DNS using H-Sphere installer.
- Using E.Manager, create a new physical server and add the DNS server group (or add this group to
the physical server you are planing to move DNS server to).
- Stop the Control Panel.
- Log into the system database and run the following DB queries:
update l_server set p_server_id=[new_p_server_id] where id=[id_of_DNS_logical_server];
update l_server_ips set ip='[new_DNS_server_IP]', mask='[new_DNS_server_mask]' where l_server_id=[id_of_DNS_logical_server] and flag=4;
select * from l_server_ips where l_server_id=[id_of_DNS_logical_server] and flag in (5,6);
- Move all IPs selected from H-Sphere database (with flags 5 and 6) to the new server. This means
that you need to remove these IPs from the network interface on the old DNS server, /etc/named.conf
("Listen on" directive) and /hsphere/local/network/ips files, and set them on new server (on network
interface, /etc/named.conf and /hsphere/local/network/ips files);
- Perform this step ONLY if you are running two DNS servers on one box and are separating them.
This must be done on the source server.
Go to the directory /hsphere/shared/scripts/MultiDNS/
and copy its contents one level higher overwriting the target files:
# cd /hsphere/shared/scripts/MultiDNS/
# cp ./* ../
- Move DNS data. You can choose between two possibilities: physical move or recreation of DNS zones.
- Physical move:
1) move the /hsphere/local/var/named directory from old DNS server to the new server;
- DNS recreation tool:
2) change the ownership of moved files to named:named:
chown -R named:named /hsphere/local/var/named
3) on the rest of DNS servers, for slave zones which had masters set to the old DNS server IP,
change it to the new DNS server IP (using SED or any other method);
4) restart named.
1) log into your CP server as the cpanel user.
2) execute the following command (it may take a while if you have many DNS zones):
java psoft.hsphere.tools.DNSCreator -m db -dz
- Start the Control Panel.
- Change the IP in A DNS record for the DNS server in the service DNS zone (using the Control Panel).
© Copyright 2017. Parallels Holdings. All rights reserved.