Last modified: 27 Dec 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
This document explains how to migrate users into H-Sphere from H-Sphere and other
control panels using XML-structured data. It can also serve as a guide to setting
up a large number of H-Sphere users at a time. You are expected to have an installed
and configured H-Sphere control panel on the target server.
Note: Migration of users and resellers by means of XML files has underwent certain changes
in H-Sphere 2.5 Beta 1 and up. In particular,
resellers and their end users are now migrated in separate XML files.
For H-Sphere 2.5 Beta 1 and up, please refer to this
Users can be migrated with the following resources:
- User contact and billing info
- Domains (with or without DNS)
- DNS: custom A, MX, CNAME records; domain vhost aliases;
domain aliases with their DNS and mail configuration
- Web: settings, FrontPage, CGI, CGIDir, MIME, PHP, SSI, ErrorDoc, ErrorLog, TransferLog,
Webalizer, ModLogAn, RefferrerLog, AgentLog, Vhost alias, Directory indexes, Redirect,
Urchin3, Urchin4, ASP, ASP.NET, ColdFusion, MSSQLManager
- Mail: Mailboxes, Autoresponder for mailboxes, Mailforwards, Mailing lists
- FTP: resources: virtual hosts, anonymous virtual hosts, virtual host directories with
permissions, virtual host users, FTP subaccounts (Unix)
- MySQL: users, databases with user permissions
- PostgreSQL: users, databases
- MSSQL: users, logins, databases
- ODBC: dsn records with params
- Crontab: crontab records for users
The following resources are NOT YET implemented in XML migration mechanism:
- DNS: instant access domain alias
- Web: SSL, Shared SSL, MivaEmpresa, MivaCart, osCommerce, PhpBB
The migration procedure takes the following steps:
Step 1. Create XML File Containing User Data
Create xml and dtd files to migrate resellers and end users or end users without resellers.
If you are moving users from H-Sphere, do it with the UserInfoExtractor utility as suggested in
Creating User Migration XMLs In H-Sphere.
If you are moving users from a different control panel, follow the instruction on
Creating User Migration XMLs Outside H-Sphere.
Step 2. Create XML File Containing Reseller Plan Data
Note: Skip this step if you are migrating only master admin's end users.
Create XML files for the reseller plans to be migrated. If you migrate from H-Sphere, use the
PlanExtractor utility. Otherwise, create plan XML according to our documentation.
Please refer to Migrating Plans with XML for details.
Step 3. Prepare The Target Control Panel
Before you start creating accounts from the xml files, log as cpanel user,
go to the target H-Sphere control panel and do the following:
- Make sure that the names of the plans are exactly the same as those in your
user data xml file. To get a list of all reseller and user plans in the system, run:
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.ResellerUserCreator -d migrate_resellers.xml -dl -pp
- In the xml file, find users that have empty or filled mysql tag.
In the control panel, enable MySQL resource for the plans you are migrating these users to.
- If you intend to migrate the existent user content into H-Sphere, include but deactivate
FrontPage in all plans you are migrating your customers to, and in which FrontPage will be used.
- If you want to preserve original billing period start date, make sure that the billing periods
have the same duration and go in the same order as those in your old control panel.
Step 4. Create Reseller Plans
Note: Skip this step if you don't have resellers.
If you have resellers, run PlanCreator to create reseller plans on the target H-Sphere installation,
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.PlanCreator -active -d plans.xml
Please refer to Migrating Plans with XML for details.
Step 5. Create End Users
a) If you create both your direct end users and end users of your resellers
(XML migration file contains reseller and user data),
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.ResellerUserCreator -d migrate_resellers.xml -l migrate.log -dl
b) If you create only your direct end users
(XML migration file doesn't contain reseller data),
use the CommonUserCreator utility instead:
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.CommonUserCreator -d migrate_users.xml -l migrate.log -dl
You can also use this command to add users to an existing reseller.
1. To prevent double charges for resources billed on the monthly basis, such as Traffic and Disk Usage,
CommonUserCreator shifts start date for them to the day before the date of migration.
2. Using ResellerUserCreator for creating end users only will produce incorrect results!
If the migration software fails to create a reseller/end user account, it will return
an error and stop the migration. In this case, read the messages on the screen to find which user
caused the failure, read the log file and try to remove the cause of the error.
Note: If the domain tag of this user in the XML file contains
the ip attribute and if the IP in this user's domain was created before
the error occurred, go to the H-Sphere control panel and delete this IP.
Then, proceed with the migration using the above command plus one of these two options:
-r user_login - proceed with the migration starting with the user with this login name;
-rc user_login - delete this user and then proceed with the migration starting with this user.
The full command must look like this:
a) for a reseller's end user:
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.ResellerUserCreator -d migrate_resellers.xml -l migrate.log -dl -r user_login
b) for a direct end user:
java psoft.hsphere.migrator.CommonUserCreator -d migrate_users.xml -l migrate.log -dl -r user_login