Last modified: 27 Dec 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
MyDNS is a DNS server for UNIX that serves records directly from an SQL database
and can be used in H-Sphere as an alternative to
Currently H-Sphere supports MyDNS to work only with MySQL.
To configure H-Sphere to work with MyDNS:
- Download the latest version of MyDNS.
- Install and configure MyDNS version that is served by MySQL DB on a new or any of your existing H-Sphere servers
MyDNS installation instructions.
You can either install MyDNS .rpm package or compile it.
Warning: Don't rename the 'mydns' MySQL DB created during the installation.
- Add the following lines into the ~cpanel/shiva/psoft_config/hsphere.properties file:
MYDNS_USER = <login>
MYDNS_PASS = <password>
MYDNS_DB_HOST = <IP>
login is the MySQL user name to access MyDNS MySQL DB with select/insert/update/delete
privileges. You will need to create one more MySQL user than is described in MyDNS installation instructions
and GRANT ALL priviledges;
password is the password for MyDNS user login;
IP is the IP of the server with MySQL DB created during the installation.
- In the admin control panel check if
MyDNS name server is listed as a server group..
If it's not, log into the system database and execute:
INSERT INTO l_server_groups (id, type_id, name) VALUES (21, 2, 'MyDNS name server');
- Restart your CP.
- If you install MyDNS on a new server,
add this physical server.
- Add MyDNS logical server(s) with the MyDNS name server group and check if it is available for signup.
To remove H-Sphere DNS service, remove the 'hsphere-bind' package by running:
rpm -e hsphere-bind-XXX
After running rpm -e hsphere-bind-xxx,
commands like host, dig, nslookup and others may disappear.
Therefore, it's recommended that afterwards you install additional packages: bind-libs-XXX.rpm and bind-utils-XXX.rpm