Last modified: 27 Dec 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
This document explains how to shape your H-Sphere cluster,
add boxes and hosting services and configure basic H-Sphere settings
during Control Panel installation.
Also, you will learn how to deal with aborted installation.
Now that you ran the H-Sphere updater in the installation mode with the cpinstall option, you need to:
Step 1: Log into the admin CP
Once the CP is installed, log into CP administrative account in your browser. It will be admin with password admin.
Then, enter a valid H-Sphere license acquired from PSoft, and you'll be prompted to proceed with H-Sphere installation wizard.
Installation Wizard writes the H-Sphere cluster configuration into the specially formatted
The Configuration File section on the main page enables you to:
- Import: You upload the prepared XML file from a local machine to H-Sphere and later reconfigure
H-Sphere in the wizard. Read more on H-Sphere installation from prepared config.xml file;
- Export: export config.xml with your H-Sphere cluster configuration to your local machine.
- Restore to Default: choose this option to recreate config.xml and to restart
configuring H-Sphere cluster in the wizard.
Step 2: Edit general settings
- Click the Edit General Settings icon on the right corner of the
General Settings caption and proceed to the following page:
- System Domain: Specify the service domain name here.
- One Server Installation: check this box if you need a single server installation.
You can't add more than one physical server by checking this options.
- Use NAT IP mapping: Check this box if you implement
NAT on your H-Sphere.
- Press Submit and return to the main page of the wizard.
Step 3: Add physical servers
In 3.0 Patch 4+, when it comes to multi-server installation,
H-Sphere checks if there are at least 2 DNS servers configured.
Otherwise, it returns to the previous step with warning:
H-Sphere must contain 2 or 3 DNS servers.
- Click the Add Physical Server icon on the right corner of the Physical Servers caption.
- Fill in the form for adding new physical servers and services:
- Set physical server Name, IP, root password, and choose which logical servers
(CP, Web, mail, DNS, MySQL, PostgreSQL) will be installed there.
They will be installed with default settings which can be changed if necessary.
- Click Submit.
After you have added physical servers into H-Sphere cluster, you will see them on the main page of the wizard:
H-Sphere 3.1 Beta 1 and up: Here you may also configure
physical server profiles, setting update rules for each physical server or groups of servers.
Click Manage install/update profiles below the Physical Servers form to configure the profiles:
Read more about physical server profiles
Step 4: Add logical servers
Once physical server is added, you can add logical servers:
- Select the type of logical server you want to add and click Submit.
Choosing Use defaults for this server will apply default names
for H-Sphere logical servers on this server. By default, they are named webN,
mailN, nsN, mailN, mysqlN, respectively.
You can edit logical server parameters, if necessary. For more information, refer to the documentation on
Step 5: Choose between full and reduced installation
Now that you're done with H-Sphere configuration:
- Click Proceed With Installation Wizard:
Note: If you choose to Skip Installation Wizard, you will be taken directly
to Admin CP and all your pre-configuration will be lost.
(More on incomplete installation.)
- Choose the installation mode:
- To perform full installation, click Yes, continue.
- To perform reduced installation, click Set physical and logical servers settings and proceed directly to Admin CP.
Note: Your E.Manager -> Servers menu will show all physical and logical servers that you have configured.
If you chose full installation, proceed to Step 6.
Step 6: Complete full installation
There are two alternative ways to complete full installation:
via CP web interface or
running H-Sphere install/update script with postinstall option.
Option One: completing installation via CP web interface
- On the page that appears check the servers you want to be updated/installed and click Start.
To see the update log, click the server name link.
On multiserver installations, you can see the update process simultaneously on each server.
To do it, click the logical server links to switch between the server logs.
Update process indicator legend:
- Yellow: ready for update
- Blue: update is running
- Green: update successfully finished
- Red: update finished with error. If update fails, you will see an error message with details.
Important: You don't need to restart the whole update process
if the update fails only on a certain server. Just log into this server manually, fix possible issues and
resume this step on this particular server.
- When update is finished and the light turns green, click Proceed to complete installation.
- On the page that appears, click Return to Admin CP.
You will be taken to Admin CP.
Option Two: Completing installation with postinstall option
Return to the H-Sphere install/update script
and choose the postinstall option there:
This will complete H-Sphere installation according to the configuration you built.
If at any point of your installation process, you:
- Go to your wizard Home in the middle of installation
- Loose connection with your browser
- Skip installation (as on Step 5)
you will have a choice of further actions:
- Proceed with Installation Wizard will take you to the point of interrupted installation process
- Go to Admin CP will take you to your Admin panel without completing installation
- Clear Installed Data will cancel all settings and you can start installation from scratch