Last modified: 26 Aug 2008
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
H-Sphere admin runs the same updater for H-Sphere installation and update.
Moreover, the updater is used to update (and even downgrade) system packages
and config file templates. Updater is executed from the corresponding H-Sphere update version.
In this document:
H-Sphere updater's main features:
- Implemented backward compatibility, particularly for
postgres, sitestudio, ipmigration keys.
- Using set of H-Sphere self-configured packages, which take IP dependent information from config.xml file
with the help of the hsinfo utility.
- MD5 sum check before/after package download.
- Update of H-Sphere packages to the last set of available packages, allowed by specific H-Sphere version/subversion.
- Global check of the installed software after update for each box.
- Possibility to add additional service/server after configuring them via CP interface.
- Check of the required disk space for installation/update.
- Updater can be executed either in the interactive (wrapper) or
in the non-interactive (update scipt's command line interface) modes.
- Update is provided for all *nix physical servers in H-Sphere cluster,
including VPS servers.
Note: H-Sphere updater updates
since H-Sphere 2.5 RC 2 (H-Sphere VPS 1.4-4 and up).
H-Sphere Updater consist of two parts:
- Wrapper which checks and installs, if needed, the hsphere-update
package on each box.
- Set of update scripts installed as the hsphere-update package.
Interactive Mode: Command Line Interface of the Wrapper
H-Sphere updater's interactive mode assumes that you first launch H-Sphere update script, like this:
# sh U30.0P6
# sh U31.0b1 install
And then type in one of the prompted options with or without parameter in the command line of the form that appears.
See H-Sphere updater
and H-Sphere SSE updater options.
hspackages [ help ] [ ips=IP1,IP2,.. ] [ group=lgroup1,lgroup2,... ]
[ private ] [ strict ] [ nomd5 ] [ force ] [ skip=stage ]
[ reconfig=front-end|spamassassin|all ]
[ mode=modename ] [ oscode ] [ mirror=mirror_number ]
[ exclude-mysql=show|add|del | exclude-postgresql=show|add|del | exclude-dns=show|add|del]
[ sitestudio ] [ postgres ] [ url=Link ] [ verbose ]
[ ctemplates=php,httpd,httpd2,cphttpd,httpd_extra,httpd2_extra,cphttpd_extra,ftpd,mysql,pgsql,named ]
[ edit=IP:/path/to/custom/template ] [ skip-exclude ]
[ old-platform ]
- nomd5 - update is not critical for wrong md5 sum, only warning;
- force - check md5 sum of the installed packages with the same version too,
if wrong md5 sum, install new package by force;
- strict - form package list based exclusively on package list.
By default, downgrade to older package version is skipped.
- ips - only specific list of the target boxes from HS cluster may be pointed instead
of provide check update for all IPs in HS cluster;
- subversion - there is global hsphere package list and its subversion differences.
- help2 - get additional possibilities description.
This key allow to check only subversion check to speed up update
(of course, update to corresponding hsphere version is required before);
- url=Link - alternative path for package download (instead of http://www.psoft.net/shiv/HS);
- verbose - inform whether package was installed by force or with nodeps;
- reconfig=front-end|spamassassin|all (3.0 RC4+) -
this option is used in the case of front-end (Horde, PhpMyAdmin, PhpPgAdmin) or SpamAssassin DB location redefinition.
It provides the list of boxes allocation where update and/or related reconfiguration is required.
- (3.0 RC4+)
exclude-mysql=show|add|del | exclude-postgresql=show|add|del | exclude-dns=show|add|del -
you can configure H-Sphere to use custom PostgreSQL/MySQL versions
instead of installing their HS 3.0 default versions. In this case HS updater allows excluding related package
from the H-Sphere update leaving the possibility to update them via native system package managers. Example:
hspackages exclude-mysql=add ips=192.168.1.10
( HS 3.1+) the exclude-dns= option allows to exclude
standard Bind server in order to use MyDNS server
or other custom DNS servers (like djbdns) instead.
- check - skip check-up and regeneration of the existing updater.
- preparing - skip config.xml regeneration on boxes during update.
- mode=[hsupdate|update|ipmigration|deploy] (in HS 3.0+)
- set update mode with one of the options:
- hsupdate - common update without postgres and sitestudio;
- update - hsupdate including postgres and sitestudio;
- ipmigration - reconfiguring IP dependent information;
- deploy - deploy mode (post-install general box reconfiguration).
- sitestudio - update SiteStudio to last supported version.
- postgres - update postgressql to the last supported version.
- private - private update for testing purpose.
ctemplates=php,httpd,httpd2,cphttpd,httpd_extra,httpd2_extra,cphttpd_extra,ftpd,mysql,pgsql,named - Place
custom config file templates
for comma-separated list of services into predefined locations if custom templates are not there already.
( HS 3.1+) the httpd_extra, httpd2_extra, and cphttpd_extra
options are used to customize some extra config files
respectively for Web server's Apache 1.x and 2.x and for CP Apache.
Also the httpd2 option is introduced for Apache 2.2.
- group - the list of logical server groups, separated by comma. Possible groups:
mail, web, dns, mysql, pgsql, cp, vps (using common ips and group tags is allowed).
- edit=IP:/path/to/custom/template - Edit custom config file template on a specified server in a specified location.
- slaves=web|mail|all (HS 3.0+)
- choose this option to install/update packages on slave servers of
load balanced Web/mail clusters.
- (HS 3.0+) mirror - allow to set another mirror instead of the default one.
At this moment available are the following HS servers:
N Host Location Status
0 psoft.net (USA) default
1 mirror.psoft.net (Europe)
- (HS 3.0 Patch 1+) skip-exclude
- skip pre-configured exclude package list during current update.
Skip pre-defined exclude list that was previously set via exclude
- (HS 3.0 Patch 1+) old-platform - this option allows to force install/update
for the deprecated OS/soft listed in http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation/admin/eol.html.
See also other H-Sphere updater and H-Sphere SSE updater options.
Downgrading Packages to the Previous Version
(HS 3.0 RC 1+; HS SSE 3.0 Patch 1+)
Important: This option will work only with the next update! It will not work in 3.0 RC 1!
To downgrade packages to the previous versions, use the following command line option of the wrapper:
Usage: revert pkgs=[ list | package_name,package_name2,.. ] [ help ]
-pkgs=[ list | package_name1,package_name2,.. ] - revert packages
separated by ',' character, e.g.:
If pkgs=list is used then all possible masks of packages are printed, e.g.:
Non-Interactive Mode: Update Script's Command Line Interface
(HS 3.0 RC 1+; HS SSE 3.0 Patch 1+)
Now H-Sphere update script can run in non-interactive mode, i.e.,
without the need to enter the wrapper and type in the options there.
Run the update script with the wrapper's options, like this:
# sh U30.0P6 install cpinstall
# sh U31.0b1 update hspackages ips=IP1,IP2
See H-Sphere updater and
H-Sphere SSE updater options.