Last modified: 26 Dec 2007
WARNING: This documentation covers Parallels H-Sphere versions up to 3.1. For the latest up-to-date Parallels H-Sphere documentation, please proceed to the
official Parallels site.
- Create a reseller account with OpenSRS.
When prompted, enter the IP of your CP server and control panel
DNS server names.
* Notes: DNS server names should be registered and propagated with ICANN
accredited domain registrar.
In your OpenSRS account allow to use other name servers for domain registration.
Otherwise your resellers offering their end users domain registration
won't be able to use nameserver aliases which will disclose parent host transparency.
- Complete the Full Access (Fully Qualified Reseller) test on the OpenSRS site to get the
Reseller status. This requirement is set by OpenSRS (not PSoft) to make
sure you are familiar with their system and procedures and qualify to
resell their services.
With OpenSRS registrar you can register, renew, lookup, transfer and lookup transfer domains.
Setting Up OpenSRS Connection
- Log into your admin control panel.
- Select Domain Registrar in the Settings menu.
- In the Add New Registrar box, choose OpenSRS and click the Add button:
- Now enter your OpenSRS connection settings:
- Title: the name of your account. You can have more than
one connection with OpenSRS.
- Server: OpenSRS server (provided by OpenSRS), e.g.: rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net
- Port: the port used for connecting to the OpenSRS server
(provided by OpenSRS), e.g.: 55000.
- IP: your CP server IP that OpenSRS has been notified about
and approved for connection to their servers.
- Login: the login to the server (provided by OpenSRS).
- Key: the password to login to the OpenSRS' server (provided
- License Agreement: the text and/or the path to the
license agreement obtained from OpenSRS that explains their obligations
to your customers, explains their obligations to OpenSRS and proves you
are a lawful registration service provider. This will be shown to your
end customers on the signup forms and when they decide to create a new
domain through their CP.
- Warn users about domain expiration this many days in advance:
the domains are bought from OpenSRS for a certain period of time
(one or more years). When this time expires the domain is suspended,
and if the term of domain name registration is not renewed, the domain
is canceled and becomes available for sale to other buyers. Here you
can set the number of days before the domain expiration date to remind
the user about approaching domain cancelation.
- Renew domains this many days before domain expiration:
the number of days before domain expiration to renew the domain registration
(as opposed to manual domain name registration renewal).
- Click Submit Query. Now your OpenSRS connection is created and you
can proceed to configuring other registrar connections or
associating top level domains with domain registrars.
To improve your OpenSRS experience, write an e-mail to OpenSRS giving your company name and
your e-mail address, and you will be personally contacted.
my dedicated Account Manager from Tucows OpenSRS contact me.
OpenSRS Testing Mode
To test OpenSRS without registering domains, use OpenSRS test server in OpenSRS settings in H-Sphere:
Title: OpenSRS Test Server
IP: IP address of your H-Sphere CP
Login: OpenSRS account login
Key: Generated by OpenSRS when you login to
Asynchronous Response Management
Even though OpenSRS declares it can register .co.uk, org.uk, .de,
and .ca regional domains in real time, it sometimes fails to give a success or failure
response immediately and returns an "unknown status" response. When H-Sphere
gets this response, it:
- adds the domain in a regular way
- charges the domain registration fee
- creates an entry in the list of pending registrations in
Background Job System -> Async. Manager:
- creates a background job which polls OpenSRS for a response every hour.
Success: Once H-Sphere gets a confirmation about successful domain registration,
it notifies the user, removes the domain from Async. Manager, and sends the
administrator an email with the list of all completed registrations.
Failure: If H-Sphere doesn't get a successful response within the allowed period of time,
it shows this domain registration as timed out and refunds the domain registration fee.
Async. Manager offers the following controls:
- cancel - remove domain from H-Sphere and refund transfer fee
to the account balance. Use this option if the customer still wants to be hosted, but
decided not to register domain due to the difficulties with registration.
- reset - reset waiting time for a response from OpenSRS.
- check - poll Async. Manager to get most up to date registration status.